bug or feature

Steve Gehlbach steve at nexpath.com
Sat Aug 30 21:55:00 EDT 2003

Richard Gaskin wrote:

> Does this work?:
>
>  put "This is a test" after the text of gField

no, but

set the text of gField to "This is a test"

works.  However, I want to add lines to the field, so I can't find a way
to do the "after" part.

The do "  " construct works, and leads me to believe there is something
missing from the language, that would tell the interpreter to consider
the next variable as a reference to an object.

The other constructs force it by syntax to do so; it seems to me that
the one we are discussing is ambiguous and that is the problem.

The only reason I haven't use the short id is I wanted something general
that would work from any stack.

Seems like you just need a word, like "object" in front of gField that
would do it.  The do " " approach seems clunky, and, really unnecessary
if the syntax could be worked out.

-Steve