Newbie enquiry re using Revolution for Myst style games

Edwin Gore edgore at shinra.com
Wed Aug 27 11:41:01 EDT 2003

Cosmic Osmo came out after Myst by around a year or so. The Manhole was originally offered by Cyan directly through mail order on, I believe, 12 800K disks, and that led to Activision picking it up (I think this was just before they went insane and became MediaVision - Dan Shafer probably has many tales of that time).

Manhole and Cosmic Osmo had a similar effect on me. I was already fascinated by Hypercard, since at the time I was a big apple junkie (despite not having a mac at that point) and I actually bought Dan's book and read it cover to cover even though I had no way to use the knowledge at the time.

That book, Manhole, and Cosmic Osmo were really the things that started me on the road to where I am now (in a boring IT management job - go figure).

It's too bad that the market these days doesn't really seem to have any place for brilliant, imaginative, playful software like those original Cyan games.

Even before Manhole, the very first Hypercard game