Connecting to PostgreSQL DB?

Peter Reid preid at reidit.co.uk
Mon Aug 25 19:57:01 EDT 2003

I've created a test db using PostgreSQL v7.3.3 on an iMac running Max
OS X 10.2 which I can access over my LAN from my G4 (also running OS
X 10.2) using both ssh and phpPgAdmin (using PHP 4.3.2 on the iMac).
However, when I try to connect using Rev 2.0.3 revOpenDatabase (or
any PostgreSQL admin tool such as PostmanQuery or SQLBoss Developer)
I get connection refused???

In fact, none of the PostgreSQL admin tools will work directly on the
iMac either?!  I've tried turning off the built-in FireWall on the
iMac and also allowing connections via PostgreSQL's 5432 port, but
nothing works.  Only if I use Terminal or phpPgAdmin can I get a
connection and manipulate my test database?

I can even use Terminal on my G4 and connect to the iMac using ssh
and then use "psql testdb" to get at the database.  Or I can use a
broswer on my G4 with
"http://192.168.181.2/~postgres/phpPgAdmin/index.php" to gain remote
admin control, but absolutely no joy with straight connection using
either Rev 2.0.3 or the PostgreSQL admin tools which use an IP
address, a port number, a user name, user password and a database
name???

Obviously I'm doing something stupid and probably blindingly obvious,
it's just that I can't see what it is!! Any ideas please?

Peter

PS the PostgreSQL config uses "md5" for user authentication.
--
Peter Reid
Reid-IT Limited, Loughborough, Leics., UK
E-mail: preid at reidit.co.uk
Web: http://www.reidit.co.uk