The mouseControl function

Jim Hurley jhurley at infostations.com
Sun Aug 24 20:21:00 EDT 2003

>_--
>
>Message: 14
>Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 14:31:15 +0200
>Subject: Re: Hiliting a listfield line as I type?
>From: Klaus Major <klaus at major-k.de>
>To: use-revolution at lists.runrev.com
>
>Hi yoy,
>
>>  Rob,
>>
>>  That's EXACTLY the behavior ("Scroll To") I want!
>>  But... how do I read the scripts?
>
>One smart solution ;-) is to use the messagebox:
>
>Type:
>
>edit script of the mousecontrol
>
>DON'T hit RETURN yet!!!
>
>Instead positon the cursor on top of that menubutton
>and THEN hit RETURN...

I am puzzled by the way in which the "mousecontorl" function is
implemented. For example, the following handler in the message box

repeat until the mouseclick
put the mouseLoc &comma && the mousecontrol
end repeat

returns the mouseLoc continuously as I move the cursor over the
screen, but the mousecontrol depends on where the mouse was located
at the time the return key is hit. And  the mousecontrol value
remains fixed at that initial control as the mouse moves. I would
have expected the mousecontrol value to be continuously updated as
the mouseloc is.

And the documentation is puzzling:

     "if the mouseControl is button 2 then set the cursor to hand"

It appears that mouseControl returns something like: control 2 or
control 5, but never button 2 or button 5. I guess Clinton was right;
it depends on what the meaning of "is" is.  It seems that RR is
flexable on this matter. For example,

    "control 3 is button 2"

would return "true" if button 2 is in layer 3.

Jim