playing an Mp3 from Rev

Kurt Kaufman kkaufman at snet.net
Thu Aug 21 22:25:01 EDT 2003

"...can anyone recommend me a different audio file type
that is not so memory-eating but that Revolution handles as well as
Mp3s?..."

If you do not need stereo sound, you can get decent sound quality at
about .7 MB per minute by using the following settings:
IMA 4:1  (that's AIFF-C, I think)
at 22.050 kHz, mono, 16-bit

Using the above settings in stereo will of course take up more disk
space.

"...also, how does one edit sounds in Revolution, like control the
volume,
etc?  Or even record and edit sounds like we used to be able to do in
Hypercard...  is that possible with Revolution?..."

See the documentation entries for, among others:
record sound
playLoudness
recordLoudness  (there's your "VU" meter)

I don't know if it is possible to edit a sound file from within
Revolution.  If the showSelection property of a player is true, you can
easily manually select a portion of the file to play.  Or you can also
specify a startTime and endTime in your script. So, you could keep the
sound file in its original state, but play various segments in whatever
order you please by setting and resetting the startTime and endTime.
I don't recall seeing QT-Pro style selection markers on the Revolution
QT-player controllers (gasp!). Of course, you could edit the sound file
as binary data (double-gasp!....just joking; I don't suppose that is
very practical).

-Kurt