Way to pass Rev mouse coords over net?

rgould8 at aol.com rgould8 at aol.com
Thu Aug 21 00:05:00 EDT 2003

My boss wants me to see if it's possible to write a Rev app that will allow him to be in NY on his laptop running a Rev app and moving his mouse over an image, and his subordinates would be back at the office here in VA (behind a firewall), seeing his mouse move over the image as he's on the phone pointing at elements on-screen.

Right now, I have a Rev app that lets us both look at an image that's pulled from a central server (outside the firewall), while we're in different locations.  The part I'm not sure how to implement is the part that passes the X,Y coordinates of his mouse to the Rev apps that we're running.

I'm sure I could write something that would write a text file to the server, but that would be incredibely slow.  I'm not up on server ports and socket communications, but I'd be willing to bet that's how Timbuktu does it.  I'd somehow need to set up a server outside the corporate firewall with a port open that sends/receives 2 coordinates (X,Y) and makes them available for the Rev clients behind the firewall to "poll" (receive) and them I'd set a graphic mouse to those coordinates.  Anyone think this is possible, or know how to set up a server to pass data like this?