Way to cache stacks from web and update when changes?

Edwin Gore edgore at shinra.com
Wed Aug 20 11:46:00 EDT 2003

Is it impossible to check the properties of an unopened standalone from another standalone?

I was thinking that maybe I could get around some of the issues with standalones writing to themselves by using a seperate standalone to do the updating. User selects update, if there is anything new then the main application launches the updater standalone, and quits, the updater waits a few seconds (to allow time for the main app to finish quitting) then downloads the updates and overwrites the old files.

The only problem I have run into is that the main app can't check to see if the UPDATER app needs to be updated, because I can't seem to check the properties of an unopened standalone, and if I open the standalone, well, it's in its own memory space.

I can think of a bunch of ways to get around this, but I am curious about the original question.