Using strong language on the lists

Heather Williams heather at runrev.com
Wed Aug 20 08:25:00 EDT 2003

Dear listees,

Please don't. Not just because it may cause offence and because I personally
prefer a more moderate tone. It is a simple fact that using such language
actually prevents not only your message, but the entire digest in which it
appears, from reaching a number of list members. Whether you agree with it
or not, whether you think it a symptom of a nanny state or heartily endorse
such policies, many universities for example, have spam filtering in place
which will bounce the entire list if certain words appear in it. I know,
because these bounces end up in my inbox and add to my already extensive
email backlog.

So please, if you feel strongly about an issue, be creative. Use interesting
adjectives. Consider the wording that will get your message across most
effectively. Let your email simmer overnight. And don't use the kind of
language that will get this list marked as potential porn.

With kind regards to the community,

Your listmom

Heather

--
Heather Williams ~ heather at runrev.com ~ http://www.runrev.com/
Runtime Revolution - User-Centric Development Tools