XML Data sources

Todd Geist todd at geistinteractive.com
Wed Aug 20 02:12:01 EDT 2003

Hello Everyone,

I am brand new Rev user.  I have a question that involves XML and I think
maybe custom properties.

I have a an XML data source that I want to be able to query and display in
rev stack much like if it were an SQL database.

So far it is a piece of cake to get the XML and create an XML tree.  I can
parse the xml tree pretty easily.  Not bad for a couple of hours of work for
a newbie.  Rev is pretty sweet.

What I am wondering about is what is the best way to go from here.

Does it make sense to leave the data in the XML tree and just march up and
down it when I wish to display the data or should I parse it into some other
structure?  Like, I don't know, custom properties maybe?  Are there
performance issues with keeping the data in an xml tree?

I will eventually be editing the data and sending it back to the data source
so I need to keep track of the Record Modification Count for optimistic
record locking and the record ID when I open the record for editing.  Can I
or should I use custom properties for this or will regular old variables do
just as well?

Does any of this make any sense??

Any other hints and or suggestions would be great.

Thanks very much

Todd