Dynamic Web Page (Not really a RR question)

Monte Goulding monte at sweattechnologies.com
Mon Aug 18 20:04:18 EDT 2003

Hi Dan

> Is there a way to have a web page either:
>
> (1) save it's self, so it's user editable fields can be read later?; or

No, HTML is dumb.

> (2) have the web page read a text file and populate it's fields.
> Then save
> the user editable fields back to the text file?

This is possible with JavaScript but it's probably a hard way to go about
it. And you would still need a CGI back end for the saving.

> If either of these options is possible, how would you go about doing it?
> Or, is there another way to accomplish this task?

Use Rev CGI. Check out Tip of the week 6 on the RunRev website for basic
stuff. Create a template HTML page using the merge function syntax (see the
docs). Include username and password hidden fields in the page. Create
another page where the user enters username and password with a submit
button pointing to your cgi script. The first time the user enters in a
username the cgi creates a stack named username.rev and a customProperty
uPassword the value of the password. Every other time the cgi should check
the password matches the username then uses the merge function to return the
currently saved data in the html page.

Hope that all makes sense ;-)

It will all be heaps easier when Rodney and I release libCGI.

Cheers

Monte