How can I make my mainstack stay invisible?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Aug 18 11:26:01 EDT 2003

 Graham Samuel wrote:

> It's the stack with all the startup logic and it's the root of all the
> common handlers for the rest of the app, plus it contains private
> debugging info (I have a kind of tracer/timer routine that shows the
> progress of certain events in a field I can look at during
> development). Since it's the mainstack, it opens automatically when
> the app starts. I may have designed my app in a stupid way from the
> RunRev point of view, but I got some of these ideas from SuperCard and
> they've stuck...

I often do a similar thing, with the mainstack containing offscreen
libraries and on screen it's a dialog warning about memory issues.  I have a
boot script in the card on the stack triggered by preOpenStack, which among
other initializations also hides the mainstack.  This way if something goes
unpredictably wrong at least the user has some meaningful communication.

If you use a preOpenStack handler in the card script you should be able to
do anything you like before the mainstack is drawn.

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Media Corporation