Portable fonts and usage recommendations needed

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Sat Aug 16 19:37:01 EDT 2003

On Saturday, August 16, 2003, at 06:11 PM, Mark Brownell wrote:

> On Saturday, August 16, 2003, at 04:49  PM, Dar Scott wrote:
>
>> I have Courier New and Ariel on both my OS X and Windows XP.  They
>> are not the same.
>
> Mac:"Arial" => Win:"Arial" 12=>10 14=>12 18=>14
>
> Win:"Arial" => Mac:"Arial" 10=>12 12=>14

I'm slowly catching on, Mark.

I can roughly get this right just by changing the size.  This will be
great for the default sizes in fields.  The formatted characters won't
get this, but that may be enough anyway.  I don't want to have to do
htmlText transforms, but I might need to consider it.

Should I check on the availability of fonts?  If a font is not
available will I get something weird?

Your table doesn't show a size change for Courier New, but I get a big
change.

Maybe when the stack is opened I can try a bunch of fonts and sizes
until formatedHeight and formatted Width of test strings look right.

Or, and this is what you said, Mark, I can run experiments that create
the map I need.  If it is automatic my stack might look OK on exotic
platforms or maybe go bananas.

Dar Scott