Pass a URL w/JavaScript

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Thu Aug 14 14:26:00 EDT 2003

> Hey Scott, do you know how to launch a NEW instance of the browser...instead
> of using the same one?

This seems to work: If you use the "start" method to launch a URL in a
browser then include the browser's program name as the "title" in the string
used by the shell command:

 put "http://www.runrev.com" into tURL
 put word 1 to -2 of queryRegistry("hkey_local_machine\software\classes\
    http\shell\open\command\") into tBrowser
 replace quote with "" in tBrowser
 set itemDel to "\"
 put last item of tBrowser into tBrowser
 set the hideConsoleWindows to true
 if "NT" is in systemVersion() then set the shellCommand to "cmd.exe"
 get shell("start" && tBrowser && quote & tURL & quote)

This launches multiple instances of IE for me on Win2K and probably can be
applied to other document/application combinations.  This method could use
more experimentation which I just don't have time for right now so someone
else please jump on it.

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director