Blobs in PostgreSQL - solution

Rodney Tamblyn rodneytamblyn at paradise.net.nz
Wed Aug 13 08:04:00 EDT 2003

Hello everyone,

This is just a followup to let you know the bug which I found in
Revolution at present that prevents binary data operations with
PostgreSQL database has been confirmed.  It will be fixed in the final
release of 2.1 apparently.

In the meantime the workaround which I've discovered, and which works
quite well, is to base64encode data then put it into a PostgreSQL text
field (which seem, AFAIK, to be able to hold unlimited data).  On
retrieving the data I do a base64decode to turn it back into binary
data.  Using this approach I've been able to successfully store image
data in PostgreSQL text fields.

So the mystery is solved...

~ Rodney