RevNet enhancements: PAD and more...

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sat Aug 9 23:18:01 EDT 2003

With the current interest in downloadable example files, remember that
RevNet has a large and growing index of such things, including tutorials,
tools, games, and more.

To help make it even easier to add files to RevNet's Stacks index I'm
considering adding support for a common XML format already popular for such
things: PAD ("Portable Application Description",
<http://www.asp-shareware.org/pad/>).

But before I add support for PAD submissions in RevNet, it makes sense to
see how many of you are already using PAD and how many more might if there
was a simple tool for creating and updating PAD files.

While there are many such tools around, they're simple enough to make that
doing so in Rev makes a lot of sense.  I addition to other niceties it could
read properties from your stacks put there by the Distribution Builder to
automate some of the steps.

If well commented such a plugin could also serve as a tutorial itself, and
it could also be made into a standalone as an omni-platform "business card"
for its contributors and Rev itself (in addition to being a useful tool of
course).

If anyone is interested in _contributing_ (I'm assuming everyone making
commercial wares will want to _use_ it <g>) to the development, maintenance,
and/or support of a Rev-based PAD generator please send me an email off-list
and if there's sufficient interest I'll put together a RevPAD discussion
group on Yahoo.

In the meantime, the current file submission form to add stack files to
RevNet is pretty easy as it is, and with the latest update it now remembers
your user info so making multiple submissions is a breeze.

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Media Corporation