Database management

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 7 06:16:01 EDT 2003

--- Andre Rombauts <andre.rombauts at win.be> wrote:
> Thanks again...
> Online means the db is on an external server. I have
> all rights on the
> directory and I put myself the db on the server.
> I have to use ODBC because the database will also be
> accessed through ASP
> pages.
> I mentionned that even no Internet access has
> started when I'm running the
> script. And the Error message doesn't seem to be
> issued by Revolution (Run
> Rev guys can give their opinion?). Thus there seem
> to be a problem between
> Windows and RunRev when executing
> put

revOpenDatabase("ODBC","myserver.org","/myserver.org/db/revolution.mdb","","
> ") into myDB
>
> The problem with Valentina is
> 1) that if there is indeed a driver for remote
> access there is no Standalone
> application for building, managing the db on the Win
> platform - or I am
> wrong;
> 2) I'm not sure it will be possible to convert .ASP
> pages to handle
> Valentina stuff (?)
>
> André

Hi André,

On the computer where the CGI-script is running you
have to create a DSN first, using the ODBC Setup.
The DSN you create will be of type 'MS Access
something', and point to the .mdb file by means of a
path.
It is the name of this DSN that you must pass as the
third parameter to revOpenDatabase()
--
  put revOpenDatabase("ODBC","",myDSNName,"","") into
myDB

Hope this helped,

Jan Schenkel.

=====