How do I stop app's files from being opened by Rev?

Sarah sarahr at genesearch.com.au
Wed Aug 6 18:57:00 EDT 2003

> I've created a standalone app with two other stacks that "belong" to
> that app. I'd like to prevent Rev from opening either of those two
> files. In fact, Furthermore, I want those files to be opened by the
> standalone procedurally from within the app and -not- by a
> double-click on either file.
>
> I can't make these two stacks sub-stacks as information contained
> within the stacks must be modfied and saved periodically.
You can still have them as sub-stacks - just set the Distribution
Builder to "Move sub-stacks into individual files". They are then able
to be modified & saved.

> I'm guessing that, on the Mac, I'd drop the two apps inside the
> "package" of the app. I remember seeing a reference how to do this in
> the list and I'll search for it.
In OS X and Rev 2.0.2, sub-stacks that have been saved separately are
automatically tucked inside the package and so are invisible to the
casual user. They can still be found by anyone who is prepared to
examine the package contents. In OS X, you could make them invisible by
having their names start with a . (period).

> On Windows, I haven't a clue. I don't want to change which program
> opens the file because that seems to change it for all Rev files on
> the drive. As I said, I want to control what gets opened and when from
> within the main app.
You could use a customized file extension, rather than .rev, and make
it so that double-clicking automatically opened your application,
rather than Rev itself. For Macs you can do this with the stackFileType
property but I think there is a way to set the Windows registry to do
the same sort of thing. Check out Ken Ray's tips - I seem to remember
reading something like that there.

Cheers,
Sarah
sarahr at genesearch.com.au