Teams

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Wed Aug 6 00:42:01 EDT 2003

On Tuesday, August 5, 2003, at 08:29 PM, Steve Gehlbach wrote:

> Ha Ha! I knew this could be a touchy subject. IMHO, this is progress.
> It indicates to me reaching a point where you have organized the
> problem or solution better, probably reduced much code to subroutines
> or methods, simplified the solution in a more elegant manner.  It
> could of course mean you completely misunderstood the problem and had
> to start over, but I will give you the benefit of the doubt.

I can imagine either happening and it might be hard to tell the
difference.  I usually give me the benefit of the doubt, too.

I've been pondering creation in Revolution and I think many creators
cannot be assessed as some programmers.  Some spend a lot of time on
molding and remolding the clay.  Some end up with very good but hard to
quantify GUI designs.  Some get there through a circuitous route of
trial and error.  For some a project is an art project.

Even in my programming in Revolution, even when making a script library
(a task more like other programming), I tend to create a series of
notes and test cards along the way to test functions and handlers.  By
the end of the stack I have several tiny test apps.  To complicate
this, these borrow logging fields and other objects from other
projects.  The medium has affected how I document and how I test.

Many years ago I was on a small team of six or seven developing with
Forth.  Though that worked very well, we would joke that Forth was
suitable for teams of up to one person.  Though I know very well that
Revolution projects can work with many people, some kinds of projects
and some kinds of people make for small teams, sometimes teams of up to
one person.

Project management, including team management, may have to adapt to the
medium.

Dar Scott

****
   Dar Scott Consulting    http://www.swcp.com/dsc/    Programming