File/Folder Selection Behavior on Windows

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 29 06:54:01 EDT 2003

--- Trevor DeVore <trevor at mangomultimedia.com> wrote:
> I am just about done with a project but there are 2
> issues which the
> client would like resolved:
>
> 1) Being able to select multiple files when using
> answer file
> 2) Setting default folder to My Documents when using
> answer folder
>
> I have been searching through various forums for
> ways to do this but
> have not found any yet.  From what I can tell the
> defaultFolder is
> broken on Windows.  I have seen some posts that say
> it can't be done on
> Windows but I have seen other Windows apps that seem
> to be using the
> default folder browser in Windows and they set it to
> My Documents so I
> think it should be possible.  Selecting an Output
> Folder in Camtasia
> Studio Recorder seems to set the default folder for
> example.
>
> I haven't seen any ideas on the possibility of
> selecting multiple files.
>
> So does anyone have some additional insight into how
> either of these
> things could be accomplished?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Trevor DeVore

Hi Trevor,

The 'answer file' dialog box simply doesn't alloow
this under Windows -- and I can't think of any
platform that allows this behaviour.
That being said, earlier this month Kevin posted an
intriguing bit of information that isn't
cross-referenced in the answer/ask docs : the
'systemFileSelector' global property -- link to the
original post :
http://lists.runrev.com/pipermail/use-revolution/2003-April/014936.html

I dug around a bit to see how the thing works, and
though it may indeed not be 'aesthetically pleasing'
as Kevin so eloquently put it, it lmight just do the
trick for you.
In short, if the systemFileSelector is false, RR uses
a stack named "file selector" ; if you copy the stack
and adapt it, you should be able to build something
that will allow multiple selections for files and
starts in a default folder for answer directory.

Hope this helped,

Jan Schenkel.

=====