unexpected messages

Bob Rasmussen brasmussen at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 23 11:11:00 EDT 2003

Richard Gaskin <ambassador at fourthworld.com> wrote:

> >> The mouseMove messaage is sent whenever the mouse is moved, regardless is
> >> the state of the mouse button.
> >
> > But, as I noted, the mouse had *not* moved.  The mouseMove message was triggered by a "hide"
> > command in a mouseDown handler, *not* by any mouse movement.  Why?  And what
> > other surprises are in store?
>
> Was it sent more than once after it was in the message path before the mouse
> moved?

No, just one time.

I bracketed the "hide" command with "put" commands and inserted another "put" in the mouseMove
handler.  The resulting order of entries in the message box clearly showed the "mouseMove" coming on
the "hide" command's time.

Also, "J. Landman Gay" <jacque at hyperactivesw.com> wrote

> I bet it has something to do with changes in the new engine.  A
> mouseEnter/mouseLeave message is now sent when moving a control or
> changing a control's visibility if the control is located at the current
> mouseLoc. I wonder if an extra mousemove gets sent as well.

That would explain it.  Where do you get such information?

RR