RR and QT (was Re: Speed of RR vs SuperCard)

livfoss at blueyonder.co.uk livfoss at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Apr 14 08:08:01 EDT 2003

On Sun, 13 Apr 2003 09:09:52 -0800, Richard Gaskin <ambassador at fourthworld.com> wrote:

I had written:

>>AFAIK the unique issue with
> >RR is the fact that the buffered version of a player object ignores the
> >masking, so you get no transparent areas. I am not sure why this decsion was
> >made.

>Is the mask object grouped with and being moved with the player object?

No, the movie itself is masked, so that in the Apple QT player it has a transparent background. For example, imagine it's a movie of a spinning ball. The window in which it plays in the RR player object is rectangular but the desired appearance is disk-shaped, with any objects behind the movie only obscured by the disk itself, not the 'empty' parts of the rectangle. This can be accomplished, but only if the object runs unbuffered, don't know why. Of course with an image (rather than a movie) based on a transparent GIF, there's no problem.

On Sun, 13 Apr 2003 11:18:58 -0700, Mark Talluto <revlists at canelasoftware.com> wrote:

>Graham,
>
>Could you take a controlled screen shot of the player at the moment it
>is dragged around?  The hide the player and replace it with the screen
>shot.  When the user drops the screen shot (thinking it is the player),
>the screen shot is hidden and replaced with the player.

>Just another possibility maybe.

Yes, I think this is feasible, but I will wait until my publisher complains about the simpler solution before coding this more complex one! Thanks for the thought though.

Graham