How to remove this delay?

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Wed Apr 9 01:25:01 EDT 2003

Recently, Barry Levine wrote:

> I've got a line of code in a script that executes when a specific event
> occurs:
>
> show image "largeLetter" with visual effect iris open slowly with
> sound the filename of player "currentLetter"
>
> It works fine and causes no errors. However, while this particular line
> of code is executing, I have a number of image objects moving around on
> screen.

> However, while the "show image..." line of code
> is executing, the image objects (six of them at any given time) stop
> moving until the visual effect is complete. I'd like to keep everything
> moving smoothly. Any ideas? Would a "send" command do this  - something
> like SEND "SHOW IMAGE... blah, blah"(so that it can occur without
> stopping the rest of the handler from executing)? Or does the action
> ("show image...etc") cause everything else to stop until the code is
> complete? If this is the case, would there be any other code that could
> be used.

As far as I know, you can't move or progressively alter anything while a
visual effect is  taking place.  The best you can do is create your own
visual effect, which in your case might be to create a group that expands to
reveal its contents.  You can also use image objects as masks and
progressively set their blendLevels to hide or reveal objects beneath.
Alternatively, you can progressively resize an image or graphic from a tiny
dimension to full size.

Each of these options requires that you roll your effect/timing, but it can
be done and it's not terribly hard.

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director