Copy protection

kee nethery kee at kagi.com
Sat Apr 5 22:41:01 EST 2003

On Thursday, April 3, 2003, at 10:24 PM, mazzapaolo at liber wrote:

> Thank you for your  insights. I know it is impossible to prevent
> application to be copyed.
>  I was looking for a "trivial  protection", an "unlock code" linked to
> the name of the user similar to the unlock code of revolution.

Suggest using the email address instead of the user name. The user name
can contain characters that are outside of the 1 to 127 ASCII range and
various mail servers and clients can do strange things to characters
outside of that range. Email addresses almost always fall within the
"standard platform independent" ASCII char set.

> So, I had my application to register the name of the user in a file,
> stored  in the preferences folder.
> I wondered how lonk my code to the the name of the user.
> ChartoNum function wuold be a solution, but is is too trivial, I think.

It really does not matter where you store it and how you store it
unless your market is primarily people who thrive on stealing software.
The people who are going to steal with steal. People who are going to
pay will pay if you encourage them to do so.

Kee Nethery