Building a Distribution including images/icons

Ken Norris pixelbird at interisland.net
Sat Apr 5 12:40:01 EST 2003

**********
> From: "Feasey, Nicholas" <NFeasey at utpress.utoronto.ca>
> Subject: Building a Distribution including images/icons
> Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2003 12:28:03 -0500
>
> I know this has been discussed before but for us users with limited exposure
> to Revolution, can anyone give a short explanation on how one builds a
> distribution which includes any icons/images that you have create and used.
>
> I'm just not having any luck thus far.
>
> All I have is one background image and three other images that I want to be
> included in the application.  When I build a distribution for Windows on my
> Mac and install it on my Windows machine everything is lovely but, of
> course, the images are not there.
>
> I thought that I could just place them into a new image library that I
> created and select that in the build but that's just not happening.
>
> Can anyone who distributes applications explain how to do this correctly or
> point the rest of us to any FAQ or documentation?
----------
Check in the Rev Docs Development Guide under Images and Multimedia.

It depends on filetypes and how you access the files:

1) PICT files are Mac-only. Rev cannot show PICT files on a Win system.

2) If you imported the image files when you made the stack, you don't need
the library because the images will be embedded in your stack (but note (1)
above).

3) If you referenced the files, you have to provide your library. If you
selected the library you made, it should go with the stack. I don't know
what else to do if they don't show up, except to be sure you selected the
_correct_ library in the Dist Builder tab.

4) Sometimes people put the images in a different stack, but forget to
include it.

4) If you provide separate images, you have to provide a filepath, either
relative (if they are in the same folder or subfolder as your standalone),
or absolute (if they are in a separate folder).

In short, think in terms of where the actual images are.

Come on back if you're still having problems.  :+)

Ken N.