help with XP printing & user accounts

Alex Rice alrice at ARCplanning.com
Wed Apr 2 12:10:02 EST 2003

On Wednesday, April 2, 2003, at 09:34  AM, Dave Cragg wrote:

> Does your printing routine write out any files, and if so, does it
> write them to the Program files directory or some other "out of
> bounds" location. If so, that will be a problem. If you need to write
> files, they should be saved somewhere in the user's area of the
> Application and Settings folder (typically create a folder for your
> app in the user's Application Data folder). Alternatively, have the
> users install the app inside their area of the Applications & Settings
> folder.

Dave, thanks & yes my printing routing writes some temp files. I think
this might be the problem. I'm debugging over the phone so I can't tell
for sure. At first I didn't think this was the issue because the
sysadmin said the permissions were such that the app could write files
into Program Files folder, and the app was behaving as if it was
writing temp files OK, for other functions. That it hung on printing
was kind of a surprise.

But right now I'm assuming that the writing to Program Files\AppName as
a limited user account was the cause of the problem.

Do you mean Documents and Settings, not Application and Settings? Does
script this look sane to you?

put specialFolderPath(kCSIDL_APPDATA) into tAppDataPath
if tAppDataPath = empty then
   Err "Unknown path to \Documents and Settings\<user>\Application Data"
end if
put format("%s/MyApp", tAppDataPath) into tPath
if there is not a folder tPath then -- create it
   create folder tPath
if the result <> empty then
   Err the result
end if