Serendipity Library Update 20020930

Rob Cozens rcozens at pon.net
Mon Sep 30 15:26:01 EDT 2002

Hi All,

Serendipity Library Update 20020930 is now available at
http://www.oenolog.com/ftp/serendipity_downloader.htm

This is the first version to include a German translation of Library
messages & prompts, and it also adds two new capabilities:

*  SDB Utilities' File menu now includes a "Convert Text File"
menuItem which saves a copy of a text file with line endings
appropriate for a specified platform.  Why would one need this when
the MC engine automatically handles translation?  I use it for Read
Me & license text files that ship with my Rev files but are not
opened by the MC engine.

*  An "Edit Fields" menuItem has been added to SDB database stacks'
Edit Menu.  This allows the user to retrieve and edit individual
fields of the current record by field number.

I would like to mark the introduction of German language capabilities
with overdue thanks to all testers and translators.  They are
acknowledged in the Read Me file; but for those who do not go there:

Thanks to:

* Sannyasin Sivakatirswami and Ken Ray for initial design critiques
and tips on cross-platform scripting.

* Sjoerd Op 't Land, whose sound translation made the audio feedback
mechanism possible.

* Björnke von Gierke, whose suggestions led to an adjustable audio
feedback and improvements in the Library Translation screen.

* Jose L. Rodriguez Illera, whose critique reminded me not to lock
out MetaCard developers with Revolution-specific syntax and who
created Mensajes en español.txt.

* Terry Vogelaar, who pointed out the need for ASCII-ANSI conversion
of high-order characters and created Nederlandse Berichten.txt.

* Yves Coppé, who created Alertes en Français.txt.

* Klaus Major, who created Deutsche Texte.txt.

If there is anyone out there who might consider translating the
Library's 188 lines of labels, tool tips, menu & menuItem, names,
error messages, etc. into another language--especially Italian or
Portuguese--please contact me privately and give me an opportunity to
gently twist your arm a bit.  The Library includes a screen that
facilitates line-by-line translation, and you now have the choice of
translating from Dutch, French, German, or Spanish as alternatives to
English.

--

Rob Cozens
CCW, Serendipity Software Company