File, variable, array, split

Toma Tasovac ttasovac at Princeton.EDU
Thu Sep 26 11:35:01 EDT 2002

Dear Jan,

many thanks for your detailed post.

I will either split up the data into 2 separate custom property sets
(tTranslations and tForms) or keep the data in one set and collate the main
and the sub key myself.  (Neither of which is a problem, because I'm making
the vocabulary database in FMPro and I can export it as a tabdelimited file
in whichever way I want).

But one final thing remains unclear to me.  I don't seem to be getting the
customPropertySet thing -- which is why I couldn't figure out the code at
the end of your post.  I looked at Geoff's wiki files, but was again hit
over the head by the stupid stick.    You see, my original question was how
to keep the data file (words, forms, translation) invisible to the user,
i.e. how to store them in the application.

My code is currently this:

on openstack
  put url "file:translations" into tTranslations
  split tTranslations with cr and tab
  set the customProperties[cTranslations] of this stack to tTranslations
  put url "file:forms" into tForms
  split tForms with cr and tab
  set the customProperties[cForms] of this stack to tForms
end openstack

on mouseUp
  select the clickText
  put the clickText into tClickedWord
  put the cForms[tClickedWord] of this stack into fld "Translation Display"
  put "  " after fld "Translation Display"
  put the cTranslations[tClickedWord] of this stack after fld "Translation
Display"
  set the textStyle of word 1 of fld "Translation Display" to bold
  set the textStyle of word 2 of fld "Translation Display" to italic
end mouseUp

But for this, I still need external data files in the standalone app.  What
should I change in the above code to have the data stored in the
application?

Thanks a lot for all your help!
T.