Output text with Unix line feeds on jaguar

Sannyasin Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Thu Sep 26 00:00:13 EDT 2002

Problem:

Unable/How  to enforce unix linefeeds as the line delimiters in files
output by xTalk scripts on OSX Jaguar. ?

Context:
Process data on from our mail server on a local station running Jaguar.
Attempts to run a shell commands on a file just previously output by
script failing because the file contains mac line breaks.

Try using "return" and numTochar(10) --  neither works. The resulting
file causes the shell script to fail. Open that same file in BBEdit,
convert line breaks and save as Unix... then the shell script processes
the file just fine.

Also tested opening a Unix file with proper line breaks in BBedit with
line translation off and it all comes in on one line -- expected
behavior...  Then, importing the file created under xTalk,  always
opens with mac line breaks... "presumable proof" that the xTalk script
is outputting mac line breaks, no matter what we do....

on mouseup
   put the effective filename of this stack into stackFilePath
   set itemdel to "/"
   delete last item of stackFilePath
   repeat for each line x in fld "Bounce Window"
     set itemdel to tab
     if (item 2 of x >= 5) and not (item 3 of x is "tb") then
     ## if true then we have an email address in x which we want to pass,
       ##  line delimited to a unix compatible file
    put item 1 of x & return after toRemoveEmails
	## does not work: file contains mac line breaks
    put item 1 of x & numbTochar(10) after toRemoveEmails
       ## also does not work... resulting file still contains mac line
breaks.
     end if
   end repeat
   put toRemoveEmails into URL ("file:" & stackFilePath & "/emails")
    triggerEmailShellScripts
           ##  to process above saved file
	   ##  but shell scripts fail...
  end mouseup

go out to BBedit; open file  "emails"  output above;
save as Unix file with Unix line breaks....

on mouseup
    triggerEmailShellScripts ## process same file
end mouseup

Shell script now succeeds....

??

TIA