Passing contents of a variable to a regular expression

Sannyasin Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Tue Sep 17 16:35:00 EDT 2002

I have a stack where editors are to use a single character to  tag a
word to be deleted... But I want them to be able to custom select the
character to serve as this delimiter, store that as a preference and
then later pull it into a regular expression... but I don't see how to
do that:
(Thanks to Ken Ray for getting me this far!)

on cleanUpEditedOriginal
   put fld "deleteDel" of stack "prefs" into lDeleteDel
      ## assume its an "*" asterisk for this test
   put fld "original" into jai
   repeat until tToggle = 1
     if matchtext (jai,"(\(.*?\))",tDeletion) then
        ## in this case "()" are wrapping text to be deleted.
        ## but we want to use the contents of lDeleteDel  in this
expression
        ## as in something like: "(\[lDeleteDel].*?\[lDeleteDel])"
	## which would resolve to "(\*.*?\*)" in this case
        ## where lDeleteDel is an * (asterisk--but it could be any
single char)
       replace tDeletion with "" in jai
     else
       put 1 into tToggle