Paths to Mounted Volumes on OSX

Sannyasin Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Mon Sep 16 14:48:01 EDT 2002

Challenge

how to determine a single path to a file on a mounted volume that will
work on both MAc OS9 and MAC OSX, where the absolute path to the
mounted volume on OSX starts with "/Volumes" but does not start with
that on OS 9? i.e. avoid have to treat OS9 and OSX as different
platforms (not see as such by Rev or MC)

On Monday, September 16, 2002, at 06:32  AM, Scott Raney wrote:

>> that's my problem I won't know... where ever editor/user "whoever"
>> puts
>> them. I may or may not give him a standalone... or just give him a
>> copy
>> of the engine as a player with no other components and a copy of the
>> stack... (making sure I have at least a save and quit option in the
>> stack)
>
> Then how can you know they'll have a "Books" Volume at all?

That volume is on a server in another room. I use an apple script that
automatically mounts that volume on their desktop with they boot the
app. i.e. I know for sure it will be mounted as

/Books/lws/index.txt                    ## on OS 9
/Volumes/Books/lws/index.txt           ## on OS X

I don't see how any single relative path could point to the same file
from both Macs, regardless  of the location of rev/mc.exe and my app.

>> of course I can get the effective filename of the stack , then I guess
>> the mounted volume will be the some number of levels "up" in OS 9 or
>> OSX   I'll have to play with that but I suspect I'll still hit problem
>> of /Volumes/ not being existent on OS 9.X . i.e. some kind of
>> "platform" test will be required even....
>
> You might also consider putting stuff in the user's "Documents" folder
> and using specialFolderPath() to find that.

not an option... too collaborative. I have to stick to one root file on
a server with frequent back ups. if we let editors copy files to their
hard drives and work on them, it becomes chaos, Three editors working
copy, one works index and resource materials, another is working art
and image placement... all remotely, We need a single document on a
server and if it is in use, then hands off by everyone else.

Great Scott! (smile! hope i am not taking too much of your time... I am
copying this to the Rev forum in case others want to chime in, hard to
believe I am the only one using Rev to access files on remote volumes
on a LAN...)

I may have to throw in the towel on this one and test for the "Mac
Platform"  --  hope not...but if forced to,  presumably a simple test
to find a unix file at root which certainly will not exist on OS9
should suffice, then, if OSX prefix all paths to fiiles on remote
volumes with "/Volumes/" by script.

>   Regards,
>     Scott

Himalayan Academy Publications