Database on a server

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 16 04:19:01 EDT 2002

Hi Richard,

Sorry to disappoint you, but MetaCard/RunRev is
inherently a single-user aplication, with roots in
Unix. It loads an entire stack into memory, but
doesn't "lock" the file in any way. Thus, it may seem
that multiple users can open a stack and work with it.
However, if you want to "save" the data from memory
back to file, the troubles start because you cannot
know which user has the correct version in memory, if
any one user has it at all.
This is no problem if nothing has to be written back
to the disk, but if you really want a database, use
RunRev as front-end for MySQL, Valentina, Oracle or
any ODBC-capable DBMS.

Hope this explained a few things,

Jan Schenkel.

"As we grow older, we grow both wiser and more foolish
at the same time."  (De Rochefoucald)