gzip & Mac File Types

Rob Cozens rcozens at pon.net
Sat Sep 14 09:55:01 EDT 2002

>In general, on Mac OS systems this is
>handled with the File Exchange control panel (nee "Easy Open" or "Macintosh
>Easy Open") - it maps between extensions and types, and most of the
relevant apps seem to use it.

Jeanne, et al:

This is fine for determining what app should open what file; but is
essentially useless for determining the original file type & creator
of a file that is now compressed and awaiting decompression.

>I don't have a handler to hand at the moment, but the detailed files will
>return the necessary info (you'll have to massage it to get the data for
>the specific file, and to get the type and creator info).

I'll take it from there; thanks, Jeanne.

Right now I'm leaning toward adding my own header with creator & file
type to the file data before compressing.  This means my decompress
will only expand gzips created by my compression menuItem...not as
general as I would like; but it gets the main job done.
--

Rob Cozens
CCW, Serendipity Software Company