Distributing Rev Stacks (was The age of user-translatable applications...

Rob Cozens rcozens at pon.net
Fri Sep 13 10:56:01 EDT 2002

Good Morning All,

Thanks to every who has contributed to my education in the
intricacies of cross-platform distribution.

Being a stubborn foole (read that "an Aries"), and assuming
developers downloading from my website will be less fearful of
self-expanding archives found there than strangers would be of a
self-expanding attachment, the next update of the Serendipity
Downloader will bundle files in a .exe for Windows (as it does now)
and a .sea.bin for Mac OS.  I don't know how to create a
self-extracting archive for Unix, so the Unix bundle will be a .tar.

Baring browser download problems, individual files will be available
for download in gzip format.

I am adding new menuItems, "Compress a File" & "Expand a File" to SDB
Utilities' File menu; thus once developers have downloaded the
Library bundle, they have the tools to decompress the individual
files.

So while RunRev's built in gzip compression/decompression requires
handler scripting before it can be used, the next update of
Serendipity Library (Monday?) will compress/decompress individual
files out-of-the-box.
--

Rob Cozens
CCW, Serendipity Software Company