Distributing Rev Stacks (was The age of user-translatable applications...

Rob Cozens rcozens at pon.net
Thu Sep 12 13:28:01 EDT 2002

>I'm not at all sure what single format could be used, save perhaps .zip.
>Zip is the only compression scheme that Windows users are almost
>universally familiar with. Mac users understand Zip, Sit, Sea or hqx.

Troy, et al:

Does the .zip format have any connection with the "gzip" format used
by rev's compress/decompress functions?  Is it the same format that
Stuffit uses on the Mac if a new archive is named with a ".zip"
extension?  ... or if one selects "Unix Compress" translation?  Can
the StuffIt .zip be opened on windows?

Having said that, I agree with the comment that a .exe is more universal.

Ken, thanks for your suggestion for Mac archives.  I'll probably try
it on the next update of the downloader page; but I want to resolve
issues re: Unix before I do the next update.
--

Rob Cozens
CCW, Serendipity Software Company