Mac OS Version Support

Bob Arnold rfarnold at bu.edu
Thu Sep 5 12:39:00 EDT 2002

> Message: 8
> Date: Wed, 04 Sep 2002 19:08:13 -0700
> From: Richard Gaskin <ambassador at fourthworld.com>
> Subject: Re: Mac OS Version Support
> To: use-revolution at lists.runrev.com
>

> Yes, Apple's terminology for this is confusing.  They commonly use "Mac OS"
> when they mean "Classic" specifically, and will probably keep referring to
> "OS X" long after version 11 and beyond.  :)
And
> Message: 10
> Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2002 10:05:53 -0500
> From: John Silver <jsilver at utmem.edu>
> Subject: Vol 1 #663    2. Mac OS Version Support (Bob Arnold)
> To: use-revolution at lists.runrev.com
>
> There are definitely differences between the Classic and OSX RunRev
> application builders. I have resorted to using the Classic version for
> a couple of builds of OSX versions. I have a simple, fixed-size stack
> that Classic RunRev built as a fixed-size OSX application, and OSX
> RunRev built as a resizable OSX application. This was repeatable.
> Begone, o dread resize-tab!

Thank you both for verifying my problem. But is simply shouldn't be this way
-- and it isn't Apple's problem it is RunRev's. The checkboxes in the
distribution builders of the "classic" and OSX version of RunRev are
identical -- they SHOULD therefore produce identical results (which I
assumed they did) but they don't. All the RunRev documentation claims that
MacOS compatibility extends down to system 7.1 -- but this IS NOT TRUE if
the MacOS application is built using the OSX engine -- which creates an OS
9+ dependent carbon app. If the results are different, the options should be
different (duh!). Why make a cross-platform distribution builder, which
promises to make applications for any supported platform and version from
any other supported platform, when one must use different version of RunRev
to achieve true cross-platform (and system version) compatibility? I
shouldn't have to have more than one version of RunRev loaded on my
computer, should I? But apparently, I must.

--
Robert Arnold
Associate Professor of Film
Email: rfarnold at bu.edu
Http: people.bu.edu/rfarnold

"Seeing is an art that has to be learned." M. Duras, Hiroshima mon Amour