QT alwaysbuffer locks Rev when keyframes are far apart....

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Sep 4 17:05:01 EDT 2002

Chipp Walters wrote:

> Setting the alwaysbuffer to true of a player prevents any other mouseClicks
> from being heard on a different palette window. Any ideas why? This seems to
> only be the case with MPG movies or movies compressed with the Animation
> Codec where KEYFRAMES are set to a very high number. Any ideas or
> workarounds?
>
> I need alwaysbuffer because I'm getting mulitple flashes when setting the
> filename of a movie.

You might try just setting it when changing the movie and then turn it off.

MPEG is an inherently computationally-intesive format to decode in software,
and with the overhead of QT's internal event loop you should expect some
inefficiencies with the CPU time left over for all the stuff the Rev engine
has to do.

FWIW, more recent versions of the MC engine have had substantial
improvements with QT playback performance, which should be reflected in Rev
1.5.

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Media Corporation