What Can Prevent a Window From Updating?

Jerry Daniels Jedaniels at Evercom.net
Tue Sep 3 10:53:01 EDT 2002

Rob,

I used to use "go to this card" to force updates in HyperCard. I would call
it right after the result of the dialog was obtained. I haven't tested this
with Revolution at this time.

You might try that.

Jerry

-----Original Message-----
From: Rob Cozens [mailto:rcozens at pon.net]
Sent: Tuesday, September 03, 2002 9:56 AM
To: use-revolution at lists.runrev.com
Subject: What Can Prevent a Window From Updating?

Hi All,

I have a problem where the stack window refuses to update even when
lockScreen is false.

I have a handler that displays two ask dialogs, creates a new card
including info from the dialogs, and opens an empty field for input.
This basic logic has been working for some time, but recently,
although Rev says (via the message box) it is on the new card and I
can see the cursor positioned where the field should be, the window
image has not changed except that the portion that was under the ask
dialogs is white.  I can use the menubar to go to any card.  I can
ask via the message box where I am, and I am told I am at the right
card; but the image in the stack window NEVER changes.

If I run the handler starting from a card that is the same format as
the new card, I can click on a button that is supposed to lock/unlock
the input field and change it's own icon & toolTip in the process.
When I click on the button, the field locks/unlocks and the toolTip
changes (although the screen space beneath it does not refresh when
the toolTip disappears) but the icon, though changed in the button's
properties, does NOT change on the screen.

In a nutshell, it looks as though the screen is locked, but the
message box says lockScreen is false, and I can find no other global
properties that might control this behavior...which occurs in both
1.1.1 & 1.5A7.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to where to look for this bug?

TIA,
--

Rob Cozens
CCW, Serendipity Software Company