SDB Databases Now LAN Savvy

Rob Cozens rcozens at pon.net
Tue Oct 22 12:33:37 EDT 2002

Hi All,

Serendipity Library Update 20021021 is now available at
http://www.oenolog.com/ftp/serendipity_downloader.htm

In this update a stack's sdbFile property maintains the full path to
the database and openSDBFile logic will now search the calling
stack's folder and (on Windows platforms)
specialFolderPath("Documents") before prompting the user to find a
missing database.

This was done (a) to prevent an application from losing its db if the
folder they resided in is moved or renamed and (b) to deal with
thoses Windows installations where the folder containing the calling
app cannot be updated by the user.

A little serendipity (my favorite thing in life) came out of this
update as well: SDBs can now be accessed over LANs and will support
multi-user, read-only access.

This update is backward-compatible--openSDBFile will automatically
update calling stacks & SDB's whose sdbFile property is not a full
path name.

If you have previously downloaded a Serendipity Library file bundle,
you need only download & decompress Serendipity Library.rev.sgz and
English Reference Text.sdb.sgz.

A future update will remove the restriction that Serendipity
Library.rev reside in the same folder as the calling
stack/standalone, as this potentially prohibits Windows users from

Rob Cozens
CCW, Serendipity Software Company
http://www.oenolog.com/who.htm