get specialFolderpath(26)

Rob Cozens rcozens at pon.net
Thu Oct 17 13:25:40 EDT 2002

>when I'm designing a database library to be used & distributed by
>others, I have to provide a path to any db stack opened by the
>calling stack.  So far it seems specialFolderPath is the only way to
>accomplish this, and that means files must be forced into particular
>(though generically addressed) locations on every platform...
>
>and that means an installer is needed on every platform and by every
>developer who uses my library.
>
>It's not a solution I like very much; but what's the alternative?

Hi All,

Having been underwhelmed with suggestions, here is the approach I'm evaluating:

* Maintain the full path name to the SDB database in the mainstack's
sdbFile  property as in my original design

* Supplement the openSDBFile handler with logic to check (1st) the
mainstack's folder and (2nd) specialFolderPath("Documents") for the
database before requiring the user to locate or create it.

I assume specialFolderPath("Documents") returns empty for both Mac OS
9 & X, as well as all Unix platforms; so the second step only deals
with Windows permission issues.  Still, the first check should
resolve the issues related to moving or renaming a folder containing
an app & db on all platforms, no?

I plan to wait a day or so before scripting the changes; so you have
about 24 hours to further educate me or blow holes in my design.
:{`)
--

Rob Cozens
CCW, Serendipity Software Company