ftp download error "not a plain file"

Dave Cragg dcragg at lacscentre.co.uk
Thu Oct 17 03:29:01 EDT 2002

At 4:18 pm -1000 16/10/02, Sannyasin Sivakatirswami wrote:
>I have this script in a list field which has file names previously
>fetched using NLST
>
>on mouseup
>   put the clicktext into jai
>   put "ftp://katir:myPass@our.kauai.server.org/Public/Sheela/New-Not
>Yet Posted/" & jai into tURL
>   put tURL ; wait 1 seconds
>   get url  tURL
>   put it
>   wait 1 second
>   put the result
>
>end mouseup
>
>"it" is empty and result:
>
>error  550 /Public/Sheela/New-Not Yet
>Posted/9-19-02_Mauritius_Trip_Talks.txt: not a plain file.
>
>now, these files are files that are generated and uploaded by a Rev
>app I created which is in use by someone in Chennai (Madras)
>India... and they definitely *are* plain text files... ??

550 means the action wasn't taken for some reason. "not a plain file"
is a generic message sent by a some servers, and seems to cover a
variety of issues. I'd check the permissions on the file and see if
everyone has read permission. Use LIST instead of NLST to get a
listing with all the permission details.

Cheers
Dave