Search and Replace

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Tue Oct 15 18:52:00 EDT 2002

On Tuesday, October 15, 2002, at 05:21 PM, Gary Rathbone wrote:

> In this case can you not consider spaces to be part of the 'word' ? In
> which
> case a direct replace would work.
> ie " HE " -> " SHE "
>    " HIS " -> " HER "
> This would avoid "HELP" -> "SHELP" and "THIS" -> "THER"

This might present a problem in the more general case:
His portfolio (his work) speaks well of him.

Uh.  I better throw out an idea then.  How 'bout the original has markers
that are transformed to either male or female.  That is, the original has
words like $She/He$, $she/he$, and so on.  Replace is then repeatedly used
to convert these to (for female) She, she, and so on.  (A smart, but
perhaps slower, method might infer the replacements from the text.)

Dar Scott