linguistics of transcript?

Alex Rice alex at mindlube.com
Tue Oct 15 16:47:01 EDT 2002

I studied linguistics in college, as an undergrad, and have always been
fascinated with how programming languages are used and how they evolve.
The creator of Perl claims that Perl is close to a natural language in
a variety of ways and that was one of his design goals. But if you have
ever had to read Perl code, it is not easy to read at & it's hard to
believe it's like a natural language. Most unnatural to look at.
Although I guess that's the point. Once you learn the Perl idiom and
slang, it makes more sense.

Transcript however seems to be a nice balance of being
natural-language-like, and with enough strictness to prevent it from
turning into an idiomatic train wreck like Perl.

Any articles or links out there about the history of
transcript/metacard/xtalk with respect to it's syntax and linguistic
issues?

Alex Rice, Software Developer
alrice at swcp.com
alex_rice at arc.to