Portable file names

Rob Cozens rcozens at pon.net
Tue Oct 15 11:55:01 EDT 2002

>  > What are the constraints on file names that would allow a stack to have
>the
>>  same correct name on all (or most) Rev platforms?

Hi Dar,

1. I recall Ken Ray telling me that a file extension is required on
some platforms.

2. I don't know whether these are platform issues or ISP issues, but:

a. extensions longer than three characters (eg: .html) can loose the
4th & subsequent characters

b. I find file names with high order characters (eg: "Français")
uploaded to my ftp site end up with "_" in place of the character; so
I have to manually replace these characters (eg: "Francais") in
addition to replacing spaces.  In this particular case I feel the
downloaded file must retain the original character set; so the file
compressed for download is renamed, not the original file.
--

Rob Cozens
CCW, Serendipity Software Company