The Transcendental GUI (was a thread from REALbasic vs. Revolution)

Rob Cozens rcozens at pon.net
Sun Oct 13 11:20:34 EDT 2002

>One of the challenges I've had in researching this article is finding
>examples of popular platform-independent GUIs which take liberties with
>OS-specific guidelines.

Hi again, Richard,

I knew your message was important the first time I read it, and in
the light of another day & another reading I am only more impressed,
not only by your insight but also by your ability to present your
thoughts sans the emotionalism I can't keep out of the subject.

It seems to me we are reaching a point where the goal of the O/S
providers is to create a "look & feel" that people would prefer to
see when running Microsoft Office over the look & feel of MS Office
running on another platform.  As you so aptly point out, that goal
may not be in the best interest of application developers.

I suspect you will be hard pressed to find many more examples that
meet your criteria; that was why I suggested you take the more
difficult approach of looking at the techniques preferred by
non-programmers (eg: HyperCarders) in designing stacks.  It might
also be interesting to review the design of Unix apps: my expectation
is there are less stringent interface guidelines on Unix platforms.

In any case, if you have the time (or the research assistant), I'll
be happy to send you several hundred HyperCard stacks, mostly done by
AOL subscribers.
--

Rob Cozens
CCW, Serendipity Software Company