Saving stuff in a standalone

Troy Rollins troy at rpsystems.net
Sat Oct 12 20:08:01 EDT 2002

On 10/12/02 8:20 PM, "Alan Gayne" <alanIra9 at mac.com> wrote:

> I have also noted that whenever I first start Revolution the application
> opens with the Pointer tool as the default setting.  What's going on
> here?  Is there a simple way to make double-clicking on a stack open the
> Revolution application with the browse tool selected as the default
> setting?  What I'm trying to achieve is to have Revolution open in a
> mode roughly equivalent to the "Typing" or "Painting" user level setting
> in Hypercard.  The idea here is to perhaps be able to use a Starter Kit
> version of RunRev as runtime engine for stacks that have not been built
> as standalone applications - but not to give unauthorized users the
> capability of mucking around with the inner workings.

Wow Alan,
That is a lot for one post. Let me preface by saying I have no Hypercard
experience at all, so seeing your questions only makes me say "oh, it must
appear so similar that people mistake it for the same thing." So, first -
don't do that. While Rev shares a lot with HC (from what I've read) it
really does want to work a bit differently. At least at the publishing and
distribution phase.

So, I'm not going to tackle all of your questions, at least not in this
email, but I'll start with this one.

I don't think using the starter kit as an engine for the clients is a good
idea. There is no need to do so, and it serves them no advantage, unless you
intend for them to edit your program. You can easily build a "player app" of
your own, or simply distribute standalones. There really is nothing to it.
You could do something as simple as create a stack that does nothing but
open a dialog which says "What stack do you want to run?" and allows the
users to select a stack file. That stack file would then be put into a "open
stack" message internally in your player. Build your player as a standalone,
and voila - instant player app. Really nothing to it, and it avoids your
messy starter kit problems entirely.

In addition - now, you see, that stack that you are running? It is an
external stack that is NOT the standalone... you see where this is going?
You can save THAT file. You can save its properties, and field data with a
simple save stack command.

I think that your problems are more the fact that you need to let some of
what you have learned before go. The scripting knowledge all still holds -
the distribution methods are new. Perhaps give what I've described here a
try, and let us know what parts are still hanging you up. I'll bet the light
comes on, and you are off to the races before you know it.

Cheers.
--
Troy
RPSystems, Ltd.