How real is the embedded web-page technique?

Jim Biancolo webmaster at listology.com
Fri Oct 11 16:40:01 EDT 2002

At 09:36 PM 10/11/2002 +0100, Gary Rathbone wrote:
> >But maybe this is a Windows bias . . . I'm a bit more used to having my
> >apps self-contained. Those few times I've had the opportunity to work on
> >Macs I've found it disconcerting to have the menu floating off detached
> >from the working area of its application.
>
>So that fact that the functional units are contained within a single
>window/frame/pane gives the comforting perception/illusion of an integration
>application ?

I fear we're starting to stray off-topic for the list, but yeah, I find it
to be a helpful visual cue.  Again, might be years of conditioning talking,
but I'm trying to imagine running several applications at once where the
functional units are divided into discrete panes and my mind recoils.  I
mean, just trying to visually distinguish which panes belong to which apps
when there are other panes/apps in the background would be icky.  If I'm
running three apps and toggling between them I'd much rather deal with
three total panes than six (two each) or nine (three each).

Then again, the last Mac user I visited had this monster plasma screen, so
maybe it's just a question of expensive hardware screen real estate vs.
cheap hardware screen real estate.  I'm sure I wouldn't mind the multi-pane
apps so much if I could put them in a dedicated portion of such a vast
expanse of pixels.

> >Windows-conditioning aside, I
> >stand by my wish:  I'd love to see a cross-platform control in RR that can
> >render any well-formed HTML thrown at it.
>
>Must admit, it would be nice ;-)

:-)  A guy can dream, right?

Jim