Speech on XP

curry curry at kagi.com
Fri Oct 11 06:51:01 EDT 2002

This is a two-part question: First, does the speech external work on
Windows XP? I assumed it doesn't, because the site for MS Speech only
mentions up to W2K for the SAPI. But I don't have XP yet to try it.
(If it does, I would be very happy to hear that and sorry for the
wrong assumption, which is based totally on the MS information I
could find.)

But if it doesn't work, then what options do we have to implement
speech pretty easily on XP? I'm open and have looked for all kinds of
solutions, whether a DLL that can be called with Rev's ability in
calling DLL's, or a command-line solution, or any kind of Windows
scripting similar to the kind of thing we would do with AppleScript
(I have no idea if there is such a thing), or a helper application
that can  be called in some way.

If XP offers anything that previous Windows didn't, it would be fine
to use one thing for XP and the speech external for other Windows,
although of course the fewer things used the better. Any ideas? I
would really appreciate it--I have spent some time looking around but
no real luck.

Curry