Numeric field

mark mitchell cowhead at mac.com
Fri Oct 11 06:38:01 EDT 2002

Hi Jan,
Thanks for reiterating all the bases you're covering.  I thought it
might be something like that.  It's amazing how difficult it is to
develop for the 'widest' user-base, isn't it?  I did accomplish
something similar to what you are doing using the starter-kit before
though.  To restrict data input to a highly specific format, I usually
use a special "data input field" and lock the display field (if there is
one).  In other words, I check the input afterwards, to make sure the
format is correct, prior to doing any calculations etc.  For example,
the 5 script lines in this data-input field I think address all of the
extra points you mentioned:

on returnInField

replace "," with "" in me
if me is a number then  -- bad English, even for a Texan
put return & me after field mDisplay  -- or perform any calculations here
else
answer "wrong format idiot"
end if
put "" into me -- or hide me or whatever

end returnInField

Of course, your script is much cooler and more complete and far more
user-friendly, but the above will work pretty well for programmers with
starter-kits or ADD (;-)

best,
mark