REALbasic vs. Revolution

curry curry at kagi.com
Thu Oct 10 21:24:01 EDT 2002

The question of RB vs. Rev is interesting and is getting more so, not
less. The main reason I'm still interested in RB is its potential for
3D. That's the only place where Rev doesn't offer anything.

The main difference for me is that I *enjoy* working in Rev. I'm not
sure if that point has been brought up as much! If I want to make
something creative, I feel that Rev helps me do that because it's
enjoyable to use. I like the scripting syntax most of all, and there
are also some things about the developing environment that I like to
use better.

I feel that scripting syntax is not only convenient to learn, but
it's *superior* to other programming syntax. Readability is not just
nice, it's also practical. (And if more of the world's code was
written with syntax more similar to the English-like scripting syntax
we find in HyperTalk and Transcript, we'd have a better world.) I
like BASIC too, but the way MS took BASIC in adapting to GUI just
didn't make it very readable. A more readable syntax would be
possible for supporting those elements, and a few BASICs out there
have been a bit more creative, but as it is, scripting is much better
if you want something English-like;  which of course was what BASIC
set out to do originally, right?.

Here's another thing for me: I don't like having to declare every
single variable. I was actually flamed by many users on the RB list
when I suggested that RB allow writing without explicit
variables--which I think VB has an option for, and some people had
let that trip them up with a hard-to-find problem until they finally
thought of turning on explicit variables. Sounds like not everything
is right for everyone and it's their problem, but these users were
scared out of their pants to allow this capability--even though they
could just not use the option themselves, they couldn't stand the
thought of someone else doing it. That kind of mindset just didn't
impress me, especially since RB seemed to accept it readily.

Then there's the runtime development environment. You always have to
run and quit with RB, and I like the way you can "tinker" in Rev, and
really run  it outside the environment when you want. But here's a
suggestion: Rev could have an easier way to run, maybe a menu item,
that would immediately run the project alone with all the necessary
resources and libraries but without the development scripts getting
in the way. (I know about the option to hide the development
environment, but the dev scripts are still there and get in the way
sometimes, and if you run the project by itself, it won't have the
icons and libraries it needs unless you use the distribution
manager.) That would be a really strong feature, and I urge Rev to
consider it, whether just beefing up that hide-environment option, or
with a new option.

So I have many reasons to like Rev and will do everything in Rev that
is supported. But RB is also a very good tool and with a Windows dev
environment coming out, that's going to make it a lot more realistic
for cross-platform development.

One thing about the dev environment in Rev is that for a multimedia
tool, it's still not quite convenient enough to get media in and out.
I would really like to be able to copy and paste images as well as
you can in  other programs. Yes, you can import, but no, it's not
always convenient. I would like to paste in from the Mac clipboard
and have them stored in a Rev-acceptable cross-platform format. The
paint tools could also use a little work. I think Rev also needs to
update sound and speech capabilities--multiple sounds, full support
on all relevant platforms for speaking and hopefully listening, etc.
I can understand if Rev doesn't tackle 3D, but on the other hand it
would be nice; however, that's optional since it's a difference
field, whereas the sound, speech, and extra convenience in media
handling is a clear part of the kind of things Rev is already used
for and intended for, so it's not optional and I think it should not
be put off. I want to write once and have great sound and speech
effects on Mac and Windows. In some cases such as the speech support
and lack of ability to tell when sound is finished, as well as XP
support (?) lack of basic features can mean the need to reluctantly
consider another tool for some projects. (And believe me when I say
reluctantly!) I think the coming support for throbbing and sheets
will also be very welcome.

As for third party support, I think it depends on the size of the Rev
community of users. If we can sell solutions to enough Rev users to
make it profitable, some of us will make them. But if third-party
solutions is a selling point for new users, it could be a catch-22,
but I see more and more people here, so I think it's coming along
well and like Kevin says, it's just been a year. I think if people
see clearly, they will find that Rev is a great solution, even if
both products are good and perhaps one or the other is not suitable
for every job. But the fact of life is that too often, people don't
see clearly! So I hope the Rev community continues to grow--I think
more promotions and cross-grade offers could really help, because the
more people we have using Rev, the more we'll ultimately be able to
do with it. That's my suggestion to Rev--more promotions like the one
last year.

Both Rev and RB are good products. But the ultimate factors for me
are what I can do and how I can do it. I enjoy working with Rev a lot
more, and I'm trusting that the few remaining areas that need more
support will be supported.

--

Curry