REALbasic vs. Revolution

Troy Rollins troy at rpsystems.net
Thu Oct 10 14:12:01 EDT 2002

On 10/10/02 2:53 PM, "Rob Cozens" <rcozens at pon.net> wrote:

> IMF(oolesh)O, tuning my UI for internal consistency and optimal
> handling of the task of the application are more important than
> designing it to look like a clone of every other app on the same
> platform.  If RB doesn't allow the freedom to hide the menu bar or
> make an app look totally "non-native", I would see that as stifling
> to my creativity and a BIG minus in comparison to RR.

Right. Well, lessee... RB can certainly do those things. It can also make
applications that look and act like users expect them to. Not all
applications should have creative interfaces and hidden menu bars. Some of
them should look as plain vanilla as they can. Some of them should have an
extremely utilitarian look-and-feel. It cuts down greatly on how long it
takes a user to get familiar with an application. Who the heck wants a
"skinned" word processor?

I'm still using both tools (RB and Rev) I wish I could just use one at my
company, but they both still hold capabilities the other doesn't.

And for what it's worth, the RB list treated the discussion with at least
equal maturity and respect as this one did. Especially the principals -
Geoff from RB and Kevin from RunRev were both very cordial and gracious
regarding the other's product (while obviously preferring their own.) Well
done gentlemen.
--
Troy
RPSystems, Ltd.